Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Productivity up 70%



Now that social media and networking rule the world, how do you ever get anything accomplished?

I haven't had a Facebook account in almost six months. And while I went through nasty withdrawals at times, it has been for the best. I haven't had a Myspace account in over a year. Once Myspace became the Amsterdam of the Internet, I was out. However, I was inclined to keep it just to check up on my younger brother and sister -- my sister's myspace told me she's 17 (my, how time flies when you age by two years at a time), narcissistic, and in love with her "besties" NyNy and Sony. I mean, really? I'm pretty sure my brother has almost altogether abandoned his Myspace account since he turned all new age, grew out his hair like the Beatles, and sings about peace and love while playing his guitar-- he's got other things going on.

I walk through the library at school and people are just shamelessly clicking through Facebook pictures. When I canceled my account, my productivity level went up about 70%, seriously. I only focused on my work and it was a nice not feeling the urge to refresh my Facebook homepage to see who was taking a shit at that moment making chicken enchiladas or putting their pants on to go to RueBar.

My productivity seemed almost too overwhelming -- so, I opened a Twitter account. It seemed like just the right amount of social interaction. It's easy and quick. I can update, read updates and that's it. Simple. Plus, it's just not as fun as Facebook so it's not as much of a distraction.

Some people have an account at every social networking website. How do they do it? How do you keep up with real life while you're keeping up with virtual life? And when is too much? Is there a 'too much'?


1 comments:

Kristi said...

Hi Kris,

You have a wonderful blog started here. I look forward to reading about your last half of law school and what comes next. Thanks for stopping by Stepford Stories.

I resisted FB, Twitter and a Blog as long as I could. Now I'm neck deep in social media and "need" (see your last post regarding what would Jesus buy) a smart phone to help me keep up :-).

Best,
K

Post a Comment