Recent Posts

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Commercialize me

When I applied to college, I checked the "advertising" major box. Of course, I changed my major and ended up with public relations, communication studies and criminology. However, I loved (and still love) ad campaigns -- I love the creative process and coming up with unique and effective ads really fascinates me. I love seeing an ad and recognizing exactly who the ad execs are targeting, how and why. Don't get me wrong though, some ads are really bad, even deceptive but aside from that -- just taking the commercial for what it is -- they're interesting. My all-time favorites come from Target. Especially when they first came out with their great ad campaign that seamlessly blended practicality and fashion in a fun way.

So, since I wish I hadn't gotten a degree in criminology-(thanks, mom) I'm not in advertising, here's a list of my current faves (and not so faves) for your enjoyment. Tell me what you think!

My faves

1. Amazon Kindle Commercial (also see Target's Australia commercial)

2. Mac Broken Promises.

3.Toyota Prius Harmony.

4. Intel Rockstar. LOVE this ENTIRE campaign.

5. University of Florida - When did you become a Gator. Maybe I'm a little biased, OK - I'm very biased, but I love this ad spot. It always brings back great memories of my undergrad days, which is exactly what they want. LOL.

*I'm in between with this one. It's neither on my faves or not-so-faves list. I get what they're doing but it might be a little too much for me. D&G Time.

Most commercials are mediocre. They come and go without you realizing, but then there are others that you watch and the only words that come out are "what.the.hell."

Not-so-faves

1. Sears Blue Crew. Too confusing and just awkward.

2. Jim Beam Guys Never Change. Call me conservative- I can't stand this commercial.

3. Charmin Ultra Strong Bathroom tissue. Just plain weird.






0 comments:

Post a Comment