Recent Posts

Monday, January 18, 2010

Big-Law =/= Golden Ticket

I read a piece in the New York Times this weekend that, like most law-related articles these days, described the dismal state of my future (very near future) depression profession.

The article, through thorough investigative journalism, uncovered the hidden truth about big-law: it's not half as glamorous as it's made to seem on the telly, new associates hate their lives (or lack thereof) and attorneys do not make $160,000 right out of the gate anymore. 

I've never had aspirations to work in big-law -- it always seemed too sterile and impersonal for me. Consequentially, these truths don't have the same impact on me as they do on some people I know who only went to law school to make the big bucks.

The part that concerns me about the state of the legal profession is that attorneys are realizing what's really important in life (actually having a life -- this realization is their a-ha moment, while it's been the standard for people like me) and as a result, are moving into my public sector.

They are becoming more interested in "the people" and starting to work for a) the government, b) non-profit organizations, and c) legal services organizations. They are taking up my jobs (yes, they are all mine!). What then? What happens to the good-from-the-start law students who enter the law school journey to come out on the other side to do the not-so-profitable work? 

At my law school welcome banquet, a former public defender and local National Lawyers' Guild chapter president spoke and asked my class two questions: 1) Who is here to make money? and 2) Who is here to make a difference?

These were two very simple questions but they left me with the most complicated feeling in the pit of my stomach -- I was utterly disappointed that my proudly raised arm was joined by less than a handful of other idealists in answering affirmatively to the second question. But more disturbing was the overwhelming and shameless response to the first question by most of my classmates, which left me horrifyingly unsure of my decision to attend my particular law school. I remember thinking -- what the hell have I gotten myself into?

I've stayed true to my public interest goals, even with the fierce pressure to join big-law (you know, that underlying patronizing tone in people's voices when they say, "oh, public interest law, that's nice"). It's just not me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment